Expert in hydrology; hydrologic modeling, stationary and non-stationary statistical modeling, risk analysis, water resources planning and management and design of hydraulic systems, with emphasis for hydropower schemes. Has a wide and comprehensive experience in the analysis and mathematical modeling of most of the components of the hydrologic and hydraulic systems.
Examples of her studies are:
- (i) the appraisal and modeling of the surface runoff in ungauged watersheds at different time scales, from the day to the year;
- (ii)) the design of artificial reservoirs aiming at ensuring different water amounts with different reliabilities, also under the scarcity of discharge data;
- (iii) the establishment of intensive and short duration rainfalls,
- (iv) the regionalization and evaluation of the flood discharges, also under scarcity data constraints;
- (v) the establishment of ecological flows in arid and semi-arid regions supported by hydrologic and hydraulic criteria;
- (vi) trend analysis in long hydrologic time series and its relation with the climate change;
- (vii) extensive drought characterization, modeling and forecasting in mainland Portugal but also in other countries (Slovakia) and regions (South America); and
- (viii) the non-stationary characterization of extreme hydrological variables.